This past weekend the Bertou fam stepped foot inside a church building for the first time in … a year? … two? I’m not sure how long it’s been to be honest, but it’s been a loooong time. Anyway, when I saw that Artisan was participating in the Advent Conspiracy I decided to make a commitment to attend each week through the end of the Advent season.
I dug it. Alot.
Not just the church service, but the culture of the church in general.
- The call to worship was a Bob Dylan song.
- Worship included tunes by Curtis Mayfield and an old spiritual (best covered by Eva Cassidy).
- The message was on Jesus’ clearing of the temple and relating it to the idea of spending less at Christmas to do something tangible (digging wells) as a community to help those in need.
- Took communion to “The Trumpet Child” by Over the Rhine. (And subsequently got choked up for the first time in years during a church service.)
- Next week Jesse Sprinkle (drummer for Poor Old Lu, Demon Hunter, Morella’s Forest, Dead Poetic) will be sharing from of his experiences digging wells for villagers in Uganda.
My only complaint was that the people there were too friendly. But I’m pretty sure that’s a me problem. 😆
I’m actually really looking forward to going back next week. I actually went and entire church service without wanting to gouge my eyes out. There Jim, you happy?